Author Topic: sinus and chest infection advice?  (Read 333 times)

sears21

sinus and chest infection advice?
« on: May 27, 2013, 07:50:56 am »
I have a full blown chest and sinus infection and really don't want to take antibiotics. Anyone know of anything that may help or should I take meds??
I am 26 weeks and having major asthma attacks and my head is pounding I know the asthma is bad for bub so have made another appointment to see my own gp tomorrow for her advice.

wgal78

Re: sinus and chest infection advice?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 08:24:41 am »
I know you don't want to take meds, but you also don't want to make things worse and end up in the hospital.  Take care of yourself and get better soon, hun. 

knschenck

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 09:24:22 am »
Make sure ur using ur inhaler. My Doc said inhaler was ok.

taliciaf24

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 10:55:22 am »
Antibiotics really aren't bad. There's certain ones you can take while pregnant. Your sinus infection can turn into pneumonia, which can be life threatening for you and the baby.

KmB5229

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 11:09:21 am »
I completely understand not wanting to take meds but with a sinus infection you really need to. A sinus infection left untreated can kill you. Your doc wont perscribe antibiotics that will harm your baby, they will even give you a lower dose for a longer amount of time to ensure your child will be safe. I was sick for the first 5 months of my pregnancy, constantly on and off antibiotics. Never once was I given anything that would harm my baby, the docs always made sure to give me only meds safe for pregnancy and if my doc was unsure about what she wanted to perscribe she would consult another doc more specialized in pregnancy than hermself. A doc may be quick ta give you a script when you arent pregnant but everything ive seen personally so far they are very causious with pregnant woman and young children.

taliciaf24

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 11:30:31 am »
Me too Km!!  I've had kidney infections, utis and sinus infections my whole pregnancy, Lol. The dr said when your body is weakened by an infection you're more prone to really bad bacteria. Thank God I've been feeling good for a couple weeks, Lol.

sears21

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 06:54:28 pm »
I have an appointment with my own gp in 20 mins so I will see what she says and follow her order the other doctors I seen was not my usual doctor and was to busy taking calls during my appointment to take any time with me so I would just rather make sure. But thanks I have been using a vaporizer and trying to clear that way but not helping at all 

BabyJohnson

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 09:36:14 pm »
Get plently of rest, your body recovers while you are resting. I don't really know of anything else...good luck girl

sears21

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 11:46:09 pm »
Doctors advice camomile tea, steam, rest and pain killers  due to an allergy to penicillin and keflex nothing else left to take. If no better in a few days need to go to the hospital as the infection is already quite severe to have antibiotics via a drip while being monitored for a reaction. I was almost certain the tablets the other doctor prescribed were not right 

taliciaf24

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 11:47:56 pm »
Camomile tea doesn't do crap. Lol. Your best bet is hot tea, honey & lemon juice!

BabyDeanmakes3

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 12:14:28 am »
Did you already do a z pak of antibiotics? That's what I got last sinus infection (and I was 10 weeks then). Try some sudafed o r mucinex (regular) to at least help break up the stuff. Between that and steam you should be able to breathe a bit better! Oh I hope you get better soon!!

sears21

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 12:39:33 am »
Totally agree with the camomile tea it doenst do shit. I am streaming out my house and smothered in baby balm vicks. Haven't had any antibiotics due to the allergies but I will go back if needed. Gross I know but I can hear it crackling so it must be breaking some of it up at least.

KmB5229

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 12:03:36 pm »
@talicia - thats what my doc said too. My first five months was the sickest ive been my entire life. Im utis are normal for me, they come n go without need of antibiotics normally. N before i got pregnant ypu could cough in my face while having pnuemonia or the flu n id me perfectly fine. Pregnancy has kicked my ass and then some like no bacteria or virus ever could lmao glad youre feelin better, ever since i started gettin better ive been causious not ta get sick again lol

KmB5229

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 12:07:19 pm »
Oh meant ta add...those months i was sick - bronchitis, then chest cold, then a double kidney infection, followed by a sinus infection, then the flu, and finally another chest cold -.- like i said pregnancy has whooped my ass harder than any virus or bacteria have could on its own -.-