Author Topic: frustrated beyond belief!  (Read 579 times)

AMbuhER

frustrated beyond belief!
« on: August 20, 2012, 02:04:24 pm »
As you may know I have a 3 yr old. Usually he its great, never had terrible twos got off his bottle at 1 by himself and stopped using his binky at 2 1/2. With in the last month he's started ducking him thumb.

We triedputting chili in it, time outs, not nothing he still does it. & now its causing more problems he refuses to listen when told to go to time out hits screams. Being 35 weeks and dealing with this stress is hard. Idk any advice?

JenFerrari

Re: frustrated beyond belief!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 02:45:25 pm »
:( I'm a ftm, so no advice, but I'm sorry so hear that. No fun...

honeyb1+1

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 02:51:36 pm »
My son is 2 1/2 and you just have to be very consent...he is just testing the waters to see what he can get away with...btw terrible 3s is WAY worst than terrible 2s

pregomamacita

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 03:14:10 pm »
He's mist likely sensing that there's a baby coming so he'd reverting to a baby like behavior to pit all attention on him. Try doing something special for him and reward him when he's not sucking his thumb. Also explain to him now that he's a big brother that big brothers don't do baby thing such as sucking thumbs. Just some idea's? G. L. Mama~

4kidsandcounting

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 03:14:52 pm »
I agree with hunnyb1 .. he also might sense a baby on his way!  Believe it on not my kids always started acting up in the beginning of pregnancy and toward the end. Good luck mama!

mrsgreene1725

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 03:16:38 pm »
My daughter melody is going to be 4 in November and she started sucking her thumb in the womb. She still does it and she wont stop. I've tried everything also. The hot sauce, she liked it. I bought this stuff from rite aid for $23 that is supposed to leave a bad taste and numb her mouth when she sucks her thumb, that didn't work.
I honestly don't know. As long as its not messing with his teeth they usually quit on their on. I'm just waiting.
:)

maranda260

• due Aug 28 2012 with my 2nd child
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 03:42:27 pm »
I have a 3 year old she will be 4 next month but she also has been acting out throwing fits just the past month I am now 38 weeks and I told her and her dad both if she don't get her act together she wont be starting preschool on the 4th and she can spend the time that she would have been at school in her room till she remembers how to act oh and she has lost her TV and her toys so at the moment she can play with a pen and paper she has started to get her act together and she will get her toys back Friday if she has enough stars on her chart LOL just some ideas that I have done

Bigfatmoocat

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 03:56:15 pm »
I'm only 16 weeks and my kids are already acting up they are 10, 8 and 5. To be honest it has happened with past two pregnancies and I try to ignore as much as possible and just reward good behaviour. I also have tried to get them involved as much as possible so they don't feel pushed out, they've even chosen one of there favourite toys each and wrapped them up for when the baby is born. I've also got little prezzies from the baby for when they are good.  Seems to work with my kids

AMbuhER

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 01:21:18 am »
Thanks ladies I will try some of these. Lets good it works. He is usually such a well behaved kid, people usually comment me on it and our family offers to take him whenever cause they know he's good. Its just been with us so maybe it is just testing.

Brandyjowo

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 08:00:40 am »
I'm no expert, but thumb sucking is a self soothing method, is it possible something is bothering him? Maybe when you see him do it next pick him up and hold him, maybe even ask him if he is sad. If he is using it to soothe and being punished that would explain his lashing out when you try to put him in time out, he doesn't exactly have the best communication skills yet to know how to explain to you how he feels. If he's not using it to soothe then is it possible another kid he's around is doing it? He may have picked it up and thought it was normal. Either way I don't think thumb sucking is something to punish him over, sucking his thumb isn't being a bad boy. My son was always very sensitive, if he started acting differently or lashing out I'd bring him in for a hug and ask him questions to help him verbalize how he felt. He's 11 now and still comes to me to talk when something bothers him. I'm still surprised sometimes at how sensitive a boy can be.

Birthspring

• Birthspring doula services
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 11:06:33 am »
I agree, he probably started doing it to self soothe. You might try spending more cuddle time with.him, reading, whatever. I bought s bottle of nail polish that help keep from sucking or biting, it's with other nail stuff at walmart ect. Tastes bitter. He may like it, may not