Author Topic: BREAST Feeding BREAST Milk QUESTION? ? ?  (Read 572 times)

mommyof2smiles

BREAST Feeding BREAST Milk QUESTION? ? ?
« on: September 21, 2013, 05:51:55 am »
I'm breast feeding but pumping it out because nipples are to sore for him to suck on right now ...

I have been leaving my expressed milk 2 oz I refill the bottle each time about 4-5 times per night and I leave it on the heater pad throughout the night so it will be warm right away when my LO wakes up is this bad? He wakes up every hour to two hours so its not out for that long I just have back problems so it's hard for me to get up through the night... The heater pad heats it up to 106 temp it the perfect temp for my LO nice and warm... I can also lower heater pad if its to much or will ruin the breast milk ... so anyone have a clue?

Secondtimemom

Re: BREAST Feeding BREAST Milk QUESTION? ? ?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 06:07:04 am »
If you leave the breast milk out like that and keep reusing it it will go bad and/or build bacteria. You need to always  refrigerate never refreeze and make sure you use the used milk within 24 hrs.

Imagine Love

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 07:58:31 am »
^I agree. I always put the milk in the fridge as soon as I pump and heat it up right before a feeding.

ccls1+twins-on-theway

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 08:15:13 am »
I agree, breast milk will grow bacteria if kept warm, even for an hour. It is just a very good nutrient for baby and also for bacteria. The guideline is that freshly pumped milk can sit at room temperature for 4 hours so you can just let it sit on the table (not the heater) since your feedings happen faster than that. Use all the milk in the bottle and discard any leftover within an hour of starting to drink/suck from the bottle (bacteria transfers from baby's mouth into the milk when sucking on the bottle). Wash the bottle or use a different one every time. Oh and babies don't "need" their milk warm, room temperature is fine in general. A warmer could be useful if you stored milk in the fridge and needed to feed quickly (I put my bottles in a cup if hot water). Since you feed and pump every 1-2 hours, I would keep a supply of bottles or nursers/bags near your bed and keep the milk there on the table not the hot pad. Now to find a way to wash the pumping attachments without getting up...

mommyof2smiles

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 01:05:06 pm »
Okay I'll stop doing this. So I can leave breast milk out on table for up to 4 hours and then anything over that throw away? Empty bottle if there is any left over milk after a feeding?

ccls1+twins-on-theway

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 05:22:54 pm »
Yes, 4 hours is best, 6 hours max on the table in the room after pumping. Empty and clean bottles an hour after starting a feed (even the little bit left in the bottle after pouring out leftover milk can become a breeding ground for bacteria in whatever you pour into it later if you don't clean it). I used disposable volu-feed or medela ~ 2 oz containers which I rinsed/washed and reused but they were cheaper than bottles.
Check out the storage guidelines here: http://www.llli.org/faq/milkstorage.html
Once you get a rhythm it'll become automatic. You could store a few bottles by your bed, a waste container to discard leftover milk, a bucket of soapy water to store used bottles for later washing so you don't have to get up that often. Good luck.

mommyof2smiles

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 12:21:44 am »
Thank you lots :)

ProudMommyAgain

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 08:36:02 am »
I formula fed my son but will be nursing this, one if you don't want to get up and keep washing the bottle buy enough bottles for the night and leave them by your bed then you can just wash all of them in the morning